If you have been given the "luxury of time", take a career timeout and really evaluate what you want for yourself. Jumping into your next gig because of fear, uncertainty, or being on automatic pilot is not healthy and won't be conducive to your career long term. The larger issue that some of us encounter is not taking care of you. Make it a priority to nurture our soul and hold sacred what we so willingly give away that is irretrievable: TIME.
This is your life, you owe it to yourself to take at least a week to consider a go-forward plan:
- Think about what you want to do and connect with those who can help. Most times it is the connections of your connections that are a valuable resource.
- Research where the opportunities are and take a freelance job or volunteer role for the position you "think" you want. Trying it on now will give you real insight into what you may have to tolerate.
- Schedule informational interviews with those who are in the role. It is important to ask the hard questions to uncover the info you may not be aware of. Job shadowing is another option that can aid in gaining a realistic preview.
- Don't forget to research the job qualifications which can be a barrier to entry depending on your experience.
- Knowing the salary range is equally important because it can determine your quality if life.
- Outline your transferable skills and explore what other industries have to offer.